Walnut fig base, layered with vanilla coconut cashew cream, topped with fresh blueberries and strawberry slices.
(Raw, vegan, sugar-free, dairy-free, gluten-free)
When I came across this recipe on Secret Squirrel, I just had to try it. A healthy dessert that doesn’t compromise on taste sounds like the stuff of fairytales. I made this for my family and the reviews were great all round. Even my dad, who’s usually indifferent to health foods, was impressed by these raw slices.
The recipe is supposed to use fresh figs as a topping but I forgot to buy them… I used strawberries and blueberries instead which worked perfectly fine as well. I’m sure you could use any fruit of your liking on top.
So what goes into this mysteriously healthy dessert? On to the recipe!
Walnut Fig Base:
½ cup walnuts
¼ cup almonds
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
2 tbsp flaxseeds
½ cup dried figs
½ cup pitted dates
½ tbsp water
½ tsp cinnamon
Vanilla Coconut Cashew Cream:
½ cup cashews soaked in water a few hours beforehand to soften
½ cup coconut milk
½ cup desiccated coconut
2 tbsp maple syrup
½ tsp vanilla bean paste – I didn’t have this and used vanilla essence as a substitute
1. For the base, add all ingredients into a food processor and blend until the mixture sticks together when pressed between the fingers.
2. Line a tray with cling film and empty mixture in. Press firmly with a spatula to create a flat base.
3. Put into the freezer to set, whilst you make the vanilla coconut cashew cream.
4. For the coconut cream, add cashews to a food processor and blend for a few minutes.
5. With the food processor still running, slowly add the coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla bean paste (or vanilla essence).
6. Blend until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy.
7. Add desiccated coconut and pulse to combine.
8. Pull the walnut fig base out of the freezer and fill with the coconut cashew cream layer.
9. Put back into the freezer for 2 hours to set. (I left mine in the fridge which worked well too).
If you liked this post, check out: Vegetarian Recipe: Sweet Potato, Chickpea & Spinach Curry
To keep updated on new posts, please follow and subscribe!